James Bland, Executive Producer and Partner at Blink Productions, let us pick his brain before he comes to Berlin as a member of Ciclope 2013’s jury panel.
1) Has the style of advertising changed in recent years? What is new?
Advertising has changed recently to become far more immersive. At least that’s the goal. Not all brands succeed, but the intention is there. If you can get your audience to click onwards, and go deeper, you truly have succeeded. Analytic info is very clear. You know immediately. Whether that results with a ring at the till is another thing.
2) Is it difficult to judge craft effectively?
You can always see the passion and attention to detail.
3) You’ve worked in a number of different regions – How do budgetary differences affect the quality of work to come out of a region? Are those with lower budgets restricted creatively?
Budgets do determine the outcome of course. However good film craft is to do with clever use of resources. So if the money isn’t spent well, the result will not be brilliant. We have had great results abroad, and that’s down to good production and planning.
4) The recent financial climate has has been hard on production companies, is there cause to be optimistic or should we be worried?
Pressure on production is nothing new. It makes us all reconsider how we approach what we do. I can only be optimistic about the future. Good advertising isn’t going away. It’s just changing shape.
5) What are you most looking forward to about Berlin?
To have your work seen by James and other industry leaders, make your submissions before September 27th, in just three days!
See some of James and Blink Productions’ work here.